The Zero Dropout Campaign, incubated by DG Murray Trust, is working toward the vision of halving the number of learners who are pushed out of the basic education system before Grade 12 by 2030. This ambitious vision aims to set a common agenda and provides direction and clarity to mobilise and direct the activities of a diverse range of stakeholders towards the same critical outcomes.
We are recruiting a Communication Specialist to design, develop, and execute a public communication and advocacy strategy. The Communication Specialist will be part of a small, dynamic team focused on driving strategies to prevent learners from leaving school before completing Grade 12. The ideal candidate is passionate about social change in South Africa, and understands how to inspire behaviour change through compelling and shareable content.
Job function and responsibilities:
- Using narrative and data-driven storytelling to demonstrate the scale of the learner drop-out problem and the possible solutions.
- Using data to develop an annual flagship publication tracking the state of South Africa’s basic education system and the implications for learner throughput.
- Grow the Zero Dropout Campaign brand as a thought leader and innovator on the issue of learner dropout in South Africa.
- Develop and build strategies to grow Zero Dropout constituencies and facilitate engagement.
Skills and qualifications:
- A relevant degree – such as one in journalism, communications, or social sciences.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Additional South African languages a plus.
- Skills in interpreting data, framing and presenting arguments.
- The ability to apply research insights and knowledge of behaviour change and communication theory to a practical implementation plan.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Proven ability to combine creativity and critical thinking to construct compelling stories using well-presented data in various formats including text, video, audio and graphics (data visualisation/data storytelling).
- Geared towards working in a collaborative environment.
- Drivers License and willingness to travel essential.
- The following skills would be prefereable:
- Excellent knowledge of the SA media landscape including radio, outdoor, TV and print.
- Proven ability to engage with the media.
- A background in advocacy work.
The position is based in Cape Town. The position will require domestic travel. Interested candidates should send a short letter of motivation, CV, and the names and contact details of three references by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close 06 September 2022.